Week 3: Robotics + Art
This week’s topic of the relationship between robotics and art is especially interesting to me as robotics is the field I hope to specialize in for my career. I’ve always been interested in the way technology and robotics effects human life, including the art industry. However, I never considered how influential art has been in the process of technological innovations. From Victoria Vesna’s lectures, I realized that art, in the form of entertainment, had been very significant in the creation of industry and robotics.
Arduino powered drawing robot
Art has been impacted the world of robotics and industry in ways such as movies and video games. Vesna mentioned in her lecture that the robot was an idea first made widely known in theatre. This shows that art, not only influences robotics in small ways but gave scientists the idea of robots. Another example of robotics being influenced by art is when Tesla came out with the self-driving feature in their cars. This feature helped me realize that our society is nearing the “future” that’s seen in shows and movies, such as “I, Robot,” where there are people sitting in self-driving cars.
Self-driving car in “I, Robot” drives a person as the person is busying himself with other work.
Furthermore, art in the form of video games helped scientists develop ideas for new robots. In roboticist Dennis Hong gave a TEDTalk, he mentioned that the inspiration for his robot, STriDER, came from the video game “Half Life 2.” This is a prime example of how robotics has been influenced by art as the creation of this robot had been based on the digital animation of an alien robot from a game that was digitally created by an artist.
Dennis Hong, with his robots, STriDER 1 and STriDER 2
Cites:
“Arduino-Controlled Drawing Robot.” Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers, 11 Dec. 2012, makezine.com/2012/12/11/arduino-controlled-drawing-robot/.
Hong, Dennis. “My Seven Species of Robot -- and How We Created Them.” TED: Ideas Worth Spreading, www.ted.com/talks/dennis_hong_my_seven_species_of_robot#t-27955.
I, Robot. Dir. Alex Proyas. Perf. Will Smith. Twentieth Century Fox, 2004.
“News | Virginia Tech.” News | Virginia Tech, 15 Oct. 2009, vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2009/10/2009-779.html.
Some People Are Willing to Put Their Lives in the Hands of Robot Cars. 21 June 2016.
Vesna,Victoria. “Lecutre Part 2.” Math + Art. 12 Oct. 2012. Lecture.
No comments:
Post a Comment